Last year I discovered Jamie’s End of Year Book Survey and I was automatically in. This is the 2nd year I’m participating, like REALLY participating, and I am really excited about this.
I tried my best not to repeat any answers because that’s what I basically did last year.
1. Best Book You Read In 2013?
Fantasy/Science Fiction: Scarlet by Marissa Meyer
Fairytale Retelling: Of Beast and Beauty by Stacey Jay
Contemporary: Dare You To by Katie McGarry
Dystopian: Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson
Adult Romance: Guardian Angel by Julie Garwood
Horror/Thriller: Stolen by Lucy Christopher
2. Book you were excited about & thought you were going to love more but didn’t?
Definitely The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey. All I’ve been hearing about was how epic The 5th Wave was, how everyone would definitely like it, etc. In the end, all I thought was that The 5th Wave was just an okay book, nothing special.
3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2013?
The Burning Sky was definitely the most surprising book of 2013. There was a bit of hype surrounding The Burning Sky before I even had the chance to read it. I didn’t think I’ll like it at first since Sherry Thomas’ writing was different from any other book I’ve read before, but in the end, both Iolanthe and Titus won me over.
4. Book you read in 2013 that you recommended to people most in 2013?
I recommended A LOT of books to people in 2013, but the one I probably recommend the most was probably Pawn by Aimee Carter. That was the one book that really surprised me.
5. Best series you discovered in 2013?
I don’t know if this really counts, but the Throne of Glass series by Sarah Maas. I added “I don’t know if this really counts” because I read Throne of Glass before last year, but DNF’d it. I’m so glad I gave it another chance.
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2013?
Laini Taylor of course! I can’t believe I haven’t read Daughter of Smoke & Bone and Days of Blood & Starlight before this year! Laini Taylor’s books are a must read guys!
7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?
Definitely Stolen by Lucy Christopher. I don’t usually enjoy books written by Australian authors and I only like reading contemporary books about 10% of the time. Stolen is both a contemporary (sort of) and a book written by an Australian author.
8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2012?
Guys, Dare You To by Katie McGarry made me cry absolutely non-stop. I was a big, sobbing mess and the best part is, I couldn’t put the book down.
9. Book You Read In 2013 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
Definitely Scarlet by Marissa Meyer! I miss reading about Cinder escaping out of jail (I don’t think this a spoiler – it happened right in the very beginning of the book), Scarlet and Wolf being together, and all those awesome fighting scenes. In fact, I want to re-read Scarlet now.
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2013?
DO YOU KNOW HOW HARD THIS QUESTION IS. I MEAN, HOW CAN YOU PICK ONLY ONE?! So I’m not going to pick only one: Paper Valentine by Brenna Yovanoff, Taken by Erin Bowman, and Deception by C.J. Redwine.
11. Most memorable character in 2013?
The most memorable character in 2013 is definitely Lilac from These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner, no doubt. What she did in the end of These Broken Stars was EPIC.
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2013?
This Song Will Save Your Life by Leila Sales! All the feels! All the beautiful moments and quotes! Just, wow.
13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2013?
Stolen, no doubt about that. Right after I finished reading Stolen, I was pretty much scarred for five days. That ending! I know it’s a happy ending, but I was too busy suffering to enjoy it.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2013 to finally read?
Stolen by Lucy Christopher. That book definitely deserves the hype it gets.
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2013?
“Wishful thinking pretty much always comes back to slap you in the face.”
– Perfect by Ellen Hopkins.
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?
I honestly have no idea. I don’t keep track of these things.
17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!
STEELHEART by Brandon Sanderson like I’ve mentioned in my review. (The all caps is to emphasize my excitement.) So anyone who has read Steelheart already and wants to chat, come right up! I just have SO many feels! And to answer the question, I have to talk about ALL THE SCENES, especially the ending! Ahhhh! -runs away screaming dramatically- ;D
18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2013 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).
I’m trying not to repeat any answers of mine in this survey, but seriously, it’s The Burning Sky by Sherry Thomas, hands down. The romance. You can feel it leaking and oozing from the pages.
19. Favorite Book You Read in 2013 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
Dare You To by Katie McGarry!
20. Best Book You Read In 2013 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else:
Vicious by Victoria Schwab. I wouldn’t have even touched the book (I’m not into the cover) if it wasn’t for the book blogging community.
21. Genre You Read The Most From in 2013?
Paranormal and fantasy books of course!
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2013?
Definitely Prince Titus from The Burning Sky, no doubt! He’s just so amazing and totally swoon-worthy.
24. Most vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2013?
Definitely Of Beast and Beauty by Stacey Jay. Her world is just so creative and beautiful.
25. Book That Was The Most Fun To Read in 2013?
Pawn by Aimee Carter! It had so many twists and turns that I was sucked into the book and couldn’t let go.
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2013?
Dare You To by Kaite McGarry. I was this huge, big sobbing ball of mess.
27. Book You Read in 2013 That You Think Got Overlooked This Year Or When It Came Out?
Of Beast and Beauty by Stacey Jay. In fact, I wasn’t planning to read it until I met up with Lili from Lili’s Reflections and she strongly recommended it to me.
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2013?
Honestly, I discovered A LOT of new blogs in 2013 and I just can’t choose! Ask me again next year. (Okay, if I was more honest, I don’t want to choose between all you guys! You guys are ALL awesome!)
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2013?
WHAT. No way I can choose between every single review I wrote. I refuse to.
3. Best discussion you had on your blog?
I honestly have no idea.
4. Most thought-provoking review or discussion you read on somebody else’s blog?
Again, I have no idea. I have a short memory. :P
5. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
When I met the amazing Jenny Han! She was so nice and friendly that I forgot all about my meeting-an-author nerves.
6. Best moment of book blogging/your book life in 2013?
Interacting with so many other book bloggers! Unlike my real life friends who don’t like to read at all, I finally found people who are passionate about books.
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
I have NO idea. I don’t keep track of these things sadly.
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
All my reviews, especially the books that were released before this year. They get less love than others.
9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
Strandbooks! Like, 50% off books, hello. Anyone would love that.
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
I didn’t join any challenges beside the goodreads one and I definitely way over-completed that one.
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2014 (non-debut)?
Evertrue by Brodi Ashton!
3. 2014 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge. A Beauty and Beast retelling with an assassin twist? I’m so there.
4. Series Ending You Are Most Anticipating in 2014?
Evertrue by Brodi Ashton!!! I NEED to know how it all ends!
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging In 2014?
I’ll make a post about this on the New Year. ;D