Series: Unraveling & Unbreakable
Author: Elizabeth Norris
Genre: Young Adult, Romance, Fantasy, Mystery
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Average Series Rating:
Sixteen-year-old Janelle Tenner is used to having a lot of responsibility. She balances working as a lifeguard in San Diego with an intense academic schedule. Janelle’s mother is bipolar, and her dad is a workaholic FBI agent, which means Janelle also has to look out for her younger brother, Jared.
And that was before she died…and is brought back to life by Ben Michaels, a mysterious, alluring loner from her high school. When she discovers a strange clock that seems to be counting down to the earth’s destruction, Janelle learns she has twenty-four days to figure out how to stop the clock and save the planet. (Taken from Goodreads)
Judge A Series By Its Covers:
I’ll admit it – the only reason I read Unraveling was its cover. It is pretty much perfect. I love the models, their poses, the color of the cover, everything. I also love the fact that the sequel, Unbreakable, matches the cover of the first book, Unraveling. Those two covers are absolutely gorgeous.
What I Liked:
- The countdown in the beginning of each chapter. The countdown looks really cool on the beginning of each chapter; plus it also gives us a sense of urgency.
- Unraveling is full of plot twists that I just never saw coming. And I’m usually very good at predicting plot twists.
- Elizabeth Norris isn’t afraid to kill off her own characters. Everybody is really in danger. Anybody can be killed off at any moment. Yes, even the love interest Ben can be killed off at any moment.
What I Didn’t Like:
- Some of my favorite characters died. How could you kill them off Elizabeth Norris?! -sobs-
- There are only two books in the series. I want more!
Do I Recommend It?
Yes! A million times yes! You guys, you have got to read this series, especially if you’re a fan of Veronica Mars, the X-Files, and Alias. The Unraveling duology is beyond awesome.
Favorite Book in the Series:
- Unraveling: I liked everything about Unraveling: the mystery surrounding Ben, Janelle’s mission to save the world, the many plot twists, and especially how everything just clicked in place at the end of the book.
- Janelle of course. That girl has some major courage. Janelle is not afraid to put herself in danger just to save the world and she bravely admits her own mistakes. The only thing I would change about Janelle is to make her do something about Kate and her friends’ bullying.
- Quotes from Unraveling soon to come.
- …because if the good guys are going to cross that line and torture someone, what is it that separates them from the bad guys? (Unbreakable, 196)